The main object of any webmaster is to place his/her website in a preferential position in the major search engines like Google, MSN and Yahoo. This helps the website to come up high in the search results and receive organic traffic. The process by which a site is placed high in the search engine listings is called search engine optimization or SEO. The following SEO tips will help you to place your site at a high position in the search engine results:
1. The layout of the site should be properly planned. Place a site map on the home page. Search engines love site maps as it helps to easily find out all the pages on the website, including the deep ones. If the site is large, make a number of site maps. The design should be user friendly.
2. Keyword research is very important and should be done at the start of the project. There are different keyword research tools (free or paid) available which can be used for the purpose. Look for long tail keywords which have low competition. These keywords should be used in the content as well as in the URLs and file names. Use different keywords for each webpage.
3. There should be a unique and relevant title and meta description for every page. The page title is the most important on-page SEO factor.
4. The content of your site should be great, unique and relevant to the subject. It should be informative but brief and concise. The keywords obtained from your research should be used throughout the content. The keyword density should not be more than two to three percent.
5. Keep your facts and information up-to-date so that the visitors will visit your site often.
6. Make sure that the hyper links or HTML links are visible and easily accessible.
7. Use web analytics software from the beginning to measure web traffic. It can help you to find out which traffic method is working and which is not.
8. If you can afford the cost, open a PPC account ( Google Adwords or Yahoo Search Marketing) to know the exact search volume for your keywords.
9. For linking internally, use the keywords as anchor texts.
10. Link building is essential for SEO. Submit your site to reputed, trusted directories such as, DMOZ, Yahoo, Business.com, Best of the Web etc. Establish links with authority sites relevant to your niche. You may analyze the inbound links to your competitor’s site and try to acquire those.