In this post, I’m introducing a list of 15 tips that surely will help you to create a great successful blog:
1. Post early and post often. If it’s a news oriented blog you should be posting 3 to 5 times each day. An authoritative blog can get away with 3 to 5 times per week, but each post should be unique and of high value.
2. Make the blog look and feel like the feeling of the content of the website. Work with a designer if you don’t trust yourself to do a good job.
3. Outbound links should be of web sites and other authoritative blogs. Think quality when you are thinking about your outbound links.
4. Create and distribute a press release. Don’t necessarily concentrate on the main stream press, they have a habit of ignoring blogs and websites. Instead, send the press release to other blogs and websites that would be interested in the kind of content your feature.
5. Thank other bloggers if they mention you on their blog. The best place to thank them is in the comment section of their post that mentions your blog.
6. Use sticky posts for the posts that you really want the readers to see. Sticky posts will stay at the top of the blog rather than letting them fall down as new posts are added.
7. Create unique content. Even though the Internet if full of pages that link to other pages, the best way to get people to link to your page is to give them something new.
8. Optimize the wording in your title. Don’t let a software create the title for you. You should gear your title to the reader and not the search engines, even though the search engines do look at it.
9. Don’t show your Feedburner badge until you have at least 100 subscribers. Keep it a secret a little while, you will look much more professional after you can show 100.
10. Use new technologies on your blog. Posting video from sites like YouTube and audio from audio blogs and radio stations. Post your Twitter link as well as MySpace and Facebook links and post from other users. Google Earth widgets are good content for drawing visitors. Jump on any new technology that comes along, especially if it is a networking technology.
11. Use Full Text in Your RSS. This pulls readers in much easier than just the few words that most people use for their RSS feeds. That is what the competition is doing and you need to beat the competition.
12. If you have the gadgets, create a video blog or audio blog regularly on your site. These bring in different visitors who might not want to read. Video is much more popular than audio, but audio’s popularity is increasig as more iPods are sold and people are looking for stuff to fill them up.
13. Get your own domain. Even if you use blogger to run your blog, get a domain of the name of your blog. It gives a more professional appearance. This is good for possible advertisers who might want to buy ad space on your blog.
14. Be sociable with your visitors. Post links to their websites if the content if of quality and meshes with your blog. Answer questions and email that your readers send your way. This can help turn them into loyal visitors.
15. Get a niche. Blog on a topic that is a little different, a little more specialized than the other blogs in your category.
Do you have other tips to add? share it with us via comments!