The design of a website plays a very important role in attracting visitors. If the design of a website is attractive, then the visitors are likely to view many pages of the site. But if the design is ugly and unimpressive, then the visitors are likely to close the site and move on.
When designing your website, the following are essential tips for an effective web design:
* The content of the website should be clear and easy to understand. The fonts used should be readable and professional looking. The fonts which are commonly used are Arial and Verdana.
* Do not use any unnecessary components or plug-ins which are required to be downloaded to view the site. Visitors are generally reluctant to download such plug-ins and may leave the site.
* Try to keep your design simple. Do not load the pages with lots of images. A web page containing a lot of images takes a long time to load which makes the visitor impatient. The average time required to load a page should not be more than 5 seconds. A visitor is more interested in the content of a site and not it’s design.
* Various tools and effects like fade-ins/ fade-outs etc. which are freely available in the market should be avoided. They make the site slow.
* The website must have clear navigation. The links to the important pages should be prominently displayed. Your information should be accessible from all parts of the website.
* Each web page should have a lot of white space with the minimum use of graphics. Do not use too many images and colors.
* Your site should be browser compatible. Make it compatible with both Netscape and Internet Explorer.
* The site should be designed for all screen resolutions.
* Always look for broken links, before uploading your site on your web server.
* The website should be updated regularly. Fresh content would invite the search engine robots to index the site in the different search engines.
This post was last modified on May 8, 2020 08:32