With the advent of growing network activities all around the world, it has become a necessity to timely understand and implement some important steps towards guiding our network security. We have stepped in to the world which is a scenario of ‘e-working’ professionals, non-professionals and all those who spend most of the time on the ‘net’. It has thus become our ‘quasi-world’ where we do just about anything say from video-conferencing to shopping. As a matter of fact what follows this metamorphosis is a concern to secure our each and every action that we undertake while ‘networking’.
Often it happens that we over-or under-estimate the risks that networking possesses. It is needless to say that most of the hackers or net-criminals await such an opportunity the moment we begin to be complacent regarding our security measures taken while networking. And that’s exactly where being ‘cautious’ and carefully following the right guide to ‘network security’ features in. Well let’s zoom in the basic problems we generally face during securing our data or important information that we have stored in.
- Most of the times we unknowingly open the spam folder on our email which is one of the main carriers of viruses that can destroy our data unless ‘secured’.
- Data in the form of credit card numbers, email address or even some important passwords gets stolen.
- Hackers are waiting to creep in or ‘snoop’ in reading our private mail or personal files. Well here’s we can do minimum to at least start beginning implementing the basic security practices.
- Try avoiding as much as possible replying to ‘spam mails’ or messages unless and until you are sure it’s the one whom you recently emailed to.
- Safeguard your payment system through authentic payment methods such as ‘pay-pal’ or ‘Alert-pay.com’ and do not share any credit card information with any site if you are not sure about it being a genuine one.
- Put a firewall between your computers and the internet.
- Always keep checking the anti-virus updates and run a virus protection program on your computer.
- In Internet Explorer: Go to: Tools> Internet options> Security> Default Level> Security level for this zone and set the slider to Medium. This level will ensure some internet problems being reduced to some extent.
- Use your router to control access with the help of MAC addresses (Media Access control Addresses).
- While browsing the mail never accept any unknown software till you don’t discover whether the company is trustworthy or not.
- Always make sure that the password that you have entered is not ‘simple’. Use characters, numbers and symbols while framing them and it gets easy hacking passwords with only characters or just numbers. Use a complex password for a good strength of security.
Well this doesn’t stop with this as there is much more to learn about ‘network security’. Though there are various books too that help as personal guide to the same. However some basic implementations as mentioned above can just avoid any risk of a major hazard.